What is a Rump Roast?
If you're a meat lover, you've probably heard of a rump roast. But do you know what it actually is? A rump roast is a cut of beef that comes from the bottom round, which is the rear leg of the cow. It's a lean and flavorful cut that is perfect for slow cooking. Whether you're hosting a dinner party or just want to enjoy a delicious meal at home, a rump roast recipe is a must-try!
Before we dive into the recipe, let's take a look at the ingredients you'll need:
- 3 pounds of rump roast
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 pounds small potatoes
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
Now that you have all the ingredients, let's get cooking!
- Preheat your oven to 325°F (165°C).
- Season the rump roast generously with salt and pepper.
- In a large Dutch oven or oven-safe pot, heat some oil over medium-high heat.
- Sear the rump roast on all sides until browned. This will help seal in the juices and give the meat a nice crust.
- Remove the roast from the pot and set it aside.
- In the same pot, add the onion, garlic, carrots, potatoes, and celery. Cook until the vegetables are softened.
- Add the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, and dried thyme. Stir well to combine.
- Return the rump roast to the pot and cover it with the vegetable mixture.
- Cover the pot with a lid and transfer it to the preheated oven.
- Cook for about 3-4 hours, or until the meat is tender and easily pulls apart with a fork.
- Once the roast is done, remove it from the oven and let it rest for a few minutes before slicing.
Now that your rump roast is ready, it's time to serve it up! Here are a few serving suggestions:
- Slice the roast and serve it with the vegetables and cooking juices.
- Pair it with mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables for a classic comfort meal.
- Shred the meat and use it to make delicious sandwiches or tacos.
There you have it! A delicious and easy rump roast recipe that will impress your family and friends. Give it a try and enjoy a mouthwatering meal that will have everyone asking for seconds!